Welcome to My EPortfolio

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blogs and Wikis and Ning and YouTube

Prior to this class I thought I knew what a blog was, but I didn't realize how easy it was to create a blog and to publish posts. Unfortunately blogs are blocked at our high school.

Jacquie's EDU 255 Blog

Learning to create a wiki for my high school classes has already started to have an impact in my class activities. Because my classes are open entry, open exit, we have students starting every week. As an exercise for this class, I created short introductory videos for my new students and I posted them to my wiki. Although blogger is blocked at our high school, wikispaces is not. Last Friday, we had two students start school. I hadn't realized that these students were starting that day, and in addition, students were a bit riled because they had spent the previous three days testing on AIMS. I was finding it challenging to control the classroom, plus give the new students orientation into our computer system and their math classes....SOOO....I sat the new students down at computers, gave them headphones, directed them to my wiki and they were able to watch three short introductory videos while I managed the classroom. In short order, the two new students were starting their math classes without waiting for me to have a free moment to explain the logistics!
My future plan is to continue to build on this wiki. I was so excited when I learned how to create subpages! I plan to "jing" short lectures to supplement the computer lessons that my students watch. After working with my school's learning platform for more than two years, I know which topics will need supplementary instruction. Having videos available for my students will give them the chance to access instruction from their teacher from home or on the days when I am not scheduled to attend their session.

MsFernandezMath Wiki

I am interested in exploring Ning further perhaps to use as a way to create a community for my chorus.

And finally You Tube....really??? Yes! I have a youtube channel and I've started not only to create videos (such as the welcome to my eportfolio video above) and to upload them to my channel, but when my chorus' competition videos were posted on youtube this past week, I added them to my Favorites!

My YouTube Channel

No comments:

Post a Comment